Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas in the City






Today we made our annual trek into Manhattan to experience the sights and sounds of Christmas in the city. I planned to just post the pics and let them tell the story but my camera batteries died halfway through the day. Then my Iphone died too! I did get plenty of good pics though. We took the subway to 34th street and arrived at Macy's to see Santa a 10 a.m. The kids were very excited this year to see the big guy. We had lunch early and the crowd was starting to thicken. I met a man on the elevator who said he was from Tennessee and this was his first and only trip to NYC because it was just too fast for him. I explained that it is crazy right now and in that neighborhood because there are so many tourists visiting! He didn't seem convinced.

I forced the whole family to stop in at my favorite store H&M for 5 minutes and then we were on our way to Rockefellar Center. We saw the windows at Lord and Taylor on our way and lots more lights and decorations as we walked down 5th Ave. After the Rock Center tree we ducked into St. Patrick's cathedral to say a quick prayer. The kids were annoyed that we had to go to church on a Wednesday. It was a quiet and peaceful moment. We finished the day at "The Station" at the Citigroup building. It is a big intricate model train display and this is its last year in operation. Citigroup has canceled it because of the expense. Our favorite holiday train display is a casualty of the economy.

We got back on the subway very tired...I hopped off at Wall Street to pick up a wedding gift for my cousin at Tiffany's. Wall Street is beautiful...there is a huge tree and an american flag light display right outside the New York Stock Exchange. I had no idea! I wish I had been able to get a photo of it. Poor Maggie was a trouper but fell asleep at dinner.


2 comments:

MemaSteffi said...

What a fun day in the city for
Christmas. And the weather was mild too. New York is amazing in December. I'm so sorry to hear about the train display closing. Bummer. The children look great in their Christmas outfits. Love, Mema

WilinskisinItaly said...

The pictures look great. I bet Wed was a great day! Kind of funny about St. Patrick's....Mark and I were the same. I don't actually remember being taken to church during the week but I remember being disgruntled for having to wake up and go on Sundays.